Academic | Agriculture | Boarding
Aims and Objectives
The Mathematics Faculty supports the general aim of the school which is to provide the basic skills and knowledge (both academic and personal) necessary for students to cope in our complex society.
In particular, the Mathematics Faculty will endeavour to:
• develop the basic numeracy skills necessary to function effectively in all walks of life.
• impart favourable attitudes to learning mathematics to encourage students to derive
interest and enjoyment from mathematical activities.
• impart mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills appropriate to the student’s
ability and needs.
• develop an awareness of the place of mathematics in solving problems occurring in
Staff List and Responsibilities 2018
Mrs Patricia Biczo
Mrs Deborah Crancher
Year 12 General Coordinator
Year 8 Coordinator
Mr Steven Faulds
Year 12 Extension 1 Coordinator
Mrs Sandra Gutesa / Mr Basem Shenouda
Year 11 Standard Coordinator
Year 10 Coordinator Pathway 1
Mr Graeme Huxley
AMC, ICAS and Mathematics Competitions Coordinator
Year 11 Mathematics Extension 1 Coordinator
Year 9 Coordinator Pathway 2
Mrs Tahmeena Tarannum
Year 12 Mathematics Coordinator
Mr Grant Rawson
Year 11 Mathematics Coordinator
Year 12 Mathematics Extension 2 Coordinator
Mrs Maryam Sabah
Year 9 Coordinator Pathway 1
Mrs Lydia Yuen
Year 7 Coordinator
Mr Daniel Potaczala
Year 10 Coordinator Pathway 2
Subjects Offered in 2018
The teachers of the faculty teach the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) courses for Stage 4 (Years 7 and 8), Stage 5 (Years 9 and 10) and Stage 6 (Years 11 and 12).
Our programs, in all stages, go to a greater depth (higher order thinking) in many topic areas as well as incorporating additional topics that are appropriate.
In Year 8, the five classes are graded according to ability.
In Years 9 – 10, the six classes are graded according to ability.
In Year 11, we have five Mathematics Extension 1 classes, two Mathematics classes and one Mathematics Standard class.
In Year 12, we have two Mathematics classes, six Mathematics Extension 1 classes, three Mathematics Extension 2 classes and one Mathematics General class.
Achievements in 2018
For the Year 10 RoSA:
63% of students in Mathematics were awarded a Grade A or B (with 38% of students receiving A10 and 25% an A9).
For the Year 11 Preliminary HSC RoSA:
93% of students in Mathematics General were awarded a grade A or B, with 64% of students achieving an A.
74% of students in Mathematics were awarded a grade A or B, with 53% of students achieving an A.
68% of students in Mathematics Extension 1 were awarded a grade A or B, with 39% of students achieving an A.
For the 2017 HSC:
88% of candidates in General Mathematics achieved Bands 5 and 6, with 38% of candidates achieving a Band 6.
86% of candidates in Mathematics achieved Bands 5 and 6, with 47% of candidates achieving a Band 6.
92% of candidates in Mathematics Extension 1 achieved Bands E3 and E4, with 57% of candidates achieving a Band E4.
90% of candidates in Mathematics Extension 2 achieved Bands E3 and E4, with 33% of candidates achieving a Band E4.
Performance in NAPLAN 2017:
In year 7, 98.7% of candidates achieved a band 9. The remaining 1.3% achieved a band 8.
In year 9, 99.4% of candidates achieved a band 8 or better, qualifying them for the HSC. 84.6% achieved a band 10; 11.4% a band 9.
In the University of New South Wales International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (UNSW ICAS), Steven Lim and Steven Ngo of year 11, and Sam Huynh of year 12 were awarded Medallions in recognition of achieving full marks. Hurlstone students achieved 62 high distinctions and 299 distinctions.
In the Australian Mathematics Competition, Steven Lim, in Year11, was a prize winner.
Hurlstone students achieved 13 High Distinctions and 130 Distinctions.
Twenty-eight students from years 7 and 8 entered the Australasian Problem Solving Mathematics
Olympiad (APSMO). Out of 350 teams, our Year 8 team finished in 44th place and the Year 7 team
The Mathematics Challenge for Young Australians is a take home competition held over three weeks. Seventeen students from Years 7 – 10 took part, resulting in one High Distinction and three Distinctions. The Enrichment Stage of the challenge was completed over 12 weeks in the second half of the year. Our four participants gained two High Distinctions.
The UNSW Annual Mathematics Competition is undertaken by very few students around the country. Hurlstone had 18 entries in this competition, ranging from year 7 to 12.
Our best result was a Distinction and $50 prize to Terry Lim of year 12.
A highlight of the year was Steven Lim’s participation by invitation in the Australian Mathematics Olympiad in February and the Australian Mathematics Olympiad Committee’s (AMOC) Senior contest in Mathematics in August.
Congratulations to Steven Lim